Sunday, April 12, 2009

HENRY ROLLINS



THE MANY WORLDS OF HENRY ROLLINS
by Jason K. Walsh

Henry Rollins is a multi-faceted entertainer who never seems to take a break or slow down. The former Black Flag and Rollins Band front man has come a long way from his early DC days in the underground hardcore scene. Musician, writer, film actor, radio DJ, talk-show host, and this summer will begin a new chapter in his resume of achievements, when he takes his first role on a television drama. Rollins joins the cast of “Sons of Anarchy” alongside Charlie Hunnam, Ron Perlman, and Katey Sagal. The FX series focuses on the trials and tribulations of an outlaw motorcycle gang trying to keep the peace in their small town of Harmony. The show is the brainchild of Kurt Sutter, the mastermind behind “The Shield,“ and will start shooting its second season this summer.

Prior to shooting, Rollins decided to do a quick East Coast stretch, performing his patented fast-talking, spoken-word stylings. Last year saw him traveling all over the country on his “Recountdown Tour.“ I had a chance to talk to Henry about the tour, his radio show, and the new series, but I’ll tell you, it’s top secret so he didn’t give anything away.

JW: So how are things going for you in this new year? What have you been up to?

ROLLINS: I spent the beginning of the year in Mali. I went to a music festival there called the Desert Festival. It’s held in Essakane. Since then, we have been getting two books of mine ready for release this year. The first one just came out and the other one will come out later in the year. I am getting ready to start work in a TV series called “Sons Of Anarchy,” that will take up a lot of the summer.

JW: How did you get involved with the TV show and had you seen it prior?

ROLLINS: Kurt Sutter, the writer asked me if I wanted a part and I said yes. I was very well aware of the show, as well as “The Shield,” his other show.

JW: Is this the first TV drama you've been involved with and why did you decide to do it?

ROLLINS: First TV drama and I reckon life is short so you should try and do stuff.

JW: I read you can’t say much about the storyline or character you’ll be playing. What can you say?

ROLLINS: He's an extremely bad person.

JW: Following the summer, any future plans for the remainder of the year?

ROLLINS: As soon as “Sons Of Anarchy” wraps in late September, I will be out in the world traveling into next year. I have some plans that I think are very interesting but don’t want to talk about any of it until it’s booked. I will be out and about until January I think. If all goes according to plan, I should end up in Africa in mid-January and go from there to England and start the next tour, which should go about 12 to 15 months.

JW: What made you decide to do this stretch of spoken word shows in May and June?

ROLLINS: I wanted to get some shows happening when I wasn’t working on the TV show and that was the time the production could cut me loose so we went for the dates.

JW: What is it about these spoken word engagements that keeps you interested? Is it the storytelling, the art, and/or just feeding off an audience and their reaction?

ROLLINS: All of that, certainly. I think it’s a great way to communicate and express. I just finished a 208 show tour but am glad for the shows I have this summer. I don’t have many so I am happy for the few I’ve got. This TV thing will take a good bit of time.

JW: Is there something special about returning to the East Coast for you? Do you get excited about coming back and do you find time to look up old friends while here?

ROLLINS: It’s always great to be on the East Coast for me. I won’t have any time to do anything but the shows and then back to the airport this time around though. I wish there was more time, but perhaps later in the year I can get out there and not have to hurry. I am usually busy enough in LA to be distracted from that fact that I’m in LA. I get a lot done here although I have never felt all that “at home” here. It’s not a big deal as like I said, I am all about the work and one of the reasons I can get a lot done here is that I feel more like I am on location than anything else.

JW: Following these dates, you head to Sweden for the Peace & Love festival and Belgium for Rock Werchter. What are those all about?

ROLLINS: They are festivals that I am doing. They were booked before I got the TV stuff happening. There are about six shows on that run. It will be a fairly sleepless week.

JW: I saw your doing some hits for KCRW internet public radio station. How did you get hooked up with this and what's it all about?

ROLLINS: I have a weekly show, 6-8 pm Saturday nights. The station I was at for many years, Indie 103 went down and KCRW called and asked if I wanted to work there and I said sure. It’s been great. It’s the station I started learning about radio many years ago so it’s great to be back there. I am live on the radio. It’s not an internet only station. It’s NPR for southern California. You can find my past shows archived on the site but it’s a very live thing.

JW: Do you enjoy DJ-ing, and is this just another way to extend yourself as an artist?

ROLLINS: I like playing records for people and turning them onto cool music.

JW: Lastly, following likely one of the most historic elections in our nations, how do you feel about the results and the future? Also, how do you feel about Americans coming out in record numbers to have their voices heard?

ROLLINS: I think America made an interesting decision. I am not happy about all the bailouts and the whole “too big to fail” thing. I don’t like the idea of upping the ante in Afghanistan. I think no good will come of more troop strength in that region. The Russians lost mightily there as did may others. As they say, it’s where empires go to die. I think it’s great that Americans are finding their voice. The more people voting the better. It’s their country so it’s about time more people got involved with their future.

www.21361.com

No comments:


cedar park, tx summer 2010

the Exorcist stairs

the Exorcist stairs
georgetown, washington d.c.

and the emmy goes to...

and the emmy goes to...
winner in willoughby, 2007