Tuesday, September 11, 2007

911- Six Years Past

It's 8:46am. The time when the first plane hit the first tower six years ago. I can't believe it's been six years. I got a call in my Physics class at Missouri Southern from my newsroom in 2001.

"We need you to get in here. A plane just flew into the world trade center. It might have been terrorists."

I hung up the phone and my class had stopped, the Physics instructor looking irritatedly at me.

"I have to go," I said. "A plane just hit the World Trade Center."

And that's how it started for me. I had just been in New York almost a year before to do a few stories about my college's piano competition winner playing a recital at Carnegie Hall. It was my first travel assignment and one of the influences that steered me into my current career.

I found some of the pics from that trip by accident and thought I'd share them. It's been 7 years since I've been in New York and I don't think I've ever posted any of these on the web.

I haven't been back to the city since 911. I grew up at the Jersey shore, a NYC stepchild, my father being a Brooklyn native, and spending most of my childhood holidays in Bay Ridge, so, I feel a certain attachment to the Big Apple. It's where my family was...and to an extent, still is...

But I haven't been back since. I've seen the Pentagon. I've been to Shanksville. I haven't been back to see Ground Zero. It's a sad day...but it's a day to remember, a day to honor the heroes, and a day to think about the future...

Be well everyone...


a beer on the way in KC,or was it St. Louis?

Central Park, NYC 2000...where are all my Droogs?

Broadway, 2000

Job Hunting

My favorite watering hole where I watched the end of the Subway Series...Yanks vs. Mets...skinny little bastard I was?!?

from the Hudson dinner cruise, 2000


Past the Brooklyn Bridge...

Liberty

Carnegie Hall

views from my hotel room...my last day in NYC



the shot my mom hates....

No comments:


cedar park, tx summer 2010

the Exorcist stairs

the Exorcist stairs
georgetown, washington d.c.

and the emmy goes to...

and the emmy goes to...
winner in willoughby, 2007